The first annual “Illinois Emerging Writer’s Competition” sponsored by the Illinois Secretary of State’s Center for the Book was announced at the 2005 Illinois Book Fair on March 5, 2005. This competition is opened to all Illinois residents who are 18 years of age or older.
The purpose of the contest is to promote writing and encourage the creativity of local writers. In offering this competition we hope to create a unique opportunity and outlet for recognizing new talent. Cash prizes will be awarded to the winners amounts based on number of entrants.
This year’s category will be poetry. In addition to the three (3) cash prizes (minimum prize of $250.00) that will be awarded, the winning poems will be submitted for possible publication in Ninth Letter Magazine, Another Chicago Magazine and Rhino magazine.
The following rules must be adhered to in order for your submission to be considered eligible.
1. Competition is open to any person who is 18 years of age or older and a resident of the State of Illinois. Judges of the Illinois Emerging Writers Competition, officials and employees of the Illinois Secretary of State and any member of their immediate family are ineligible. Proof of eligibility will be required prior to final selection.
2. Our competition category this year will be poetry. All poems entered must be original and unpublished work. Persons who have previously published a book (other than self-published) are not eligible for this competition.
3. The poem must be type written (12 pt. type), word-processed, double-spaced and one-sided; submissions with multiple pages must be three holes punched and bound by fasteners. No hand-written submissions will be accepted. There is no minimum or maximum number of words.
4. The title and only the title must appear on the front cover page. No other personal identification or contact information is allowed on the cover page or in the poem. A separate unattached title page must be included listing the title, your name, address, and phone number.
5. All entries must be received by 5 PM on June 30, 2005 to be eligible. Entries will NOT be returned and the Illinois Center for the Book will not be responsible for lost, late, incomplete, illegible, damaged, misdirected, mutilated or postage due entries.
6. Any entries that are not a totally original work of the contestant submitting it will be disqualified.
7. The decisions of all judges are final.
HOW TO ENTER
Entrants must submit the following entry materials for EACH submission.
1. Two (2) copies of the Poem.
2. A completed entry form
3. A check or money order for $20.00 per submission made out to the Illinois Center for the Book. No cash is allowed. The submission fee is non-refundable.
4. A signed copy of the release form.
5. A photocopy of a valid Illinois Driver’s License or valid Illinois ID card.
6. All entries must be received by 5 PM on June 30, 2005 and mailed or dropped off to the following address:
Illinois Center for the Book/Poetry Competition
C/O Illinois Secretary of State
Illinois State Library
100 W. Randolph Street
Chicago, Illinois 60601
SUBMISSION AGREEMENT AND RELEASE
(You can copy this text into a document, print it up, and use it as your entry form. Or you can find a pdf of the form here. Or you can write to the above address and request a form.)
Entrant understands and agrees that the execution of this release is a prerequisite to acceptance of the entrant’s submission to the Illinois Emerging Writers Competition, and in partial consideration thereof, Entrant agrees as follows:
1. Entrant warrants and represents that he/she has retained at least one copy of the material and hereby releases the Illinois Center for the Book for any and all liability for loss of, or damage to the copies of the submitted material.
2. Entrant warrants that the submission is his/her original and unpublished material and understands that copies of his/her entry will not be returned. Entrant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Illinois Center for the Book, the Illinois Sectary of State, and the officials and employees thereof, from any claims brought by third parties alleging that the entrant’s submission is not an original work.
3. Entrant understands that an independent panel of judges will determine the winners according to the criteria set forth in the rules and that the Illinois Center for the Book is under no obligation to entrant whatsoever if his/her submission is not selected as a winner. All judging will be “blind” with no regard of authorship and all judges’ decisions will be final.
4. There will be three cash prizes awarded based on the amount of entrance fees (minimum award will be $250.00). Winners must sign affidavits of eligibility within fourteen (14) days of prize announcement or prize will be forfeited. In the event of any tie(s) duplicate prizes will be awarded. All taxes on prizes are the sole responsibility of winners. All prizes claimed will be awarded.
5. Entrant acknowledges that he/she is at least 18 years of age and a resident of Illinois.
6. Judges, the employees of the Illinois Secretary of State and the immediate families of each will not be eligible to participate in the competition.
7. Entrant hereby grants to the Illinois Center for the Book permission to quote from and/or release to the press and appropriate publications any or all parts of any award-winning poem, which Entrant submitted to the competition. Entrant acknowledges that no publisher is obligated to publish the award-winning poem. Each publisher will make an independent determination as to whether the award-winning poem meets the publisher’s criteria for publication.
8. Entrant grants permission to the Illinois Center for the Book and the Illinois Secretary of State to use Entrant’s name and hometown in publications and on the Illinois Center for the Book/Illinois State Library/Illinois Secretary of State Web site.
AGREED AND ACCEPTED:
Name (Signature) Date
Name (Please Print)
City Zip Code
“ILLINOIS EMERGING WRITERS COMPETITION”
Sponsored by the
ILLINOIS CENTER FOR THE BOOK
Each original Poem must have its own entry form.
Phone: (Day) _________________________________________________
Title of Submission: ____________________________________________
**We hope you found the information on this page useful. ChicagoPoetry.com needs your help. We are holding a fundraising drive in order to stay online. There are two ways that you can help: Click here to offer a financial gift or click here to order the new book by ChicagoPoetry.com Press.
Note: The first annual “Illinois Emerging Writer’s Competition” sponsored by the Illinois Secretary of State’s Center for the Book was announced at the 2005 Illinois Book Fair on March 5, 2005. This competition is opened to all Illinois residents who are 18 years of age or older. Prizes include cash and publication. Here is the scoop from Letter eX, Chicago's most trusted poetry news source.